Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

senser1993 Guest

Question PS3 CFW with Linux Dual-Boot and OtherOS++

Hey everybody , first of all i wanted to point out that i am not a newbie here , i just never used the forum... (and i am daily updated about all the ps3 scene stuff)

after a lot time of not using my ps3 (that has the first rebug cfw, 3.55.1 i think) ... i want to install a new cfw - but what i want is that it will have the capability to run Linux (Ubuntu 11.10), and will have all the new *cool stuff* of the latest cfw.

so if someone with more experience with that could recommend me i will be grateful.

p.s is there an option to log into PSN this days ,from CFW ?

PEACE

Mirac00lix Guest
    CFW + PSN -> never. If you want linux back on your PS3 take a look at wiki.gitbrew.org/wikibrew/PS3. You'll find some cfw's there with different VFLASH sizes to install linux. I prefer to install linux distro. Red Ribbon (WIFI working on slims)

Videotutorial: youtube.com/user/Gitbrew

You should use a fw with "no ss patches". The FW with SS Patches will bring you Trophy errors in some games

Red Ribbon is a light-wight distro optimized for ps3 slim. It's very fast (I've tried normal ubuntu too)
    • Latest Graf Chokolo Kernel
    • Wifi woks fine with this.
    • nice online update
    • easy setup.

sourceforge.net/userapps/wordpress/r04drunner/2011/09/01/red-ribbon-gnulinux-rc-5/

senser1993 Guest
    about the PSN on CFW - NEVER SAY NEVER ... - wow that sounds gay (damn you Justin Bieber!)... i have PS3 SLIM so i can see that only OtherOS++ project is doing that job ... i think i will download CFW 3.55 SPECIAL version of that firmware...

do you know if there is any consequences for installing fw like that (unlike the regular ones that dont support otherOS) , will i have any problems with playing backed-up games ?

and why did you suggest to use Red Ribbon ? is it superior than Ubuntu on the ps3 , is it taking better advantage of the cell processor? i don't see why , because both of them are based on Debian.

UPDATE: i found out that in IBM they worked with fedora for the Cell... so what should i choose , fedora 12 (the last one that have support of ppe) or Yellow Dog 6 that as implied has been partly built for the ps3 (and is based on fedora) ???

senser1993 Guest

Installing OtherOS++ on FW 3.55

Hey everybody!

I have PS3 SLIM with cfw rebug 3.55.2 (with the latest rebug spoofer 4.00).. i want to install linux on my ps3 (Yellow Dog 6.2) , so i wanted to know what is the best way to install it on my ps3 ?

i read a lot of topic about that , but it seems to be a different issue in any fw or ps3 version.

So if can somebody help me with my personal issue it will be much appreciated.