Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Swiss Army Knife HDD Undeleting issues

Hello,

I'm in a bit of a jam. It concerns undeleting files. I'll be as in detail as possible.

The situation: I just bought a 1tb iomega prestige external hdd. It came NTFS, and i used diskmgmt.msc from start->run to delete the partition in hopes of formatting it to fat32 for use of my ps3. I deleted it, went to reformat, only to find it didn't support fat32 formatting.

no biggie, i did some research, found a program called Swiss army knife. i was able to format the drive to fat 32. I then copied over my files and folders and unplugged it safely from the pc. Nothing showed up on my ps3 so I plugged it back into my pc to find that it was indeed fat 32, but like 990gb were used. the files i copied were 40gb max.

I go into my computer to find a ton of file and folders with screwy macro type characters that are fairly large in size!?

I open up swiss army knife to have a peak, and it says in the window it is fat 32 file system. however in the drop down box, also labeled "file system" it says fat16.

I downloaded a program to undelete files, and with some success I was able to recover some (i haven't scanned the complete harddrive for files, I only did a search for .doc to test it out).

I'm convinced that the original file structure (folders, directories, layout) are still in tact but im having a problem accessing it. I think the conflict is in fat 16/fat 32 confusion.

Can anyone help?!

Best

It does sound like it was corrupted somehow, the fact you found .doc files is a bit odd though. Have you tried opening them to see if they are actually doc files and not just what it thought might be doc files?

I was able to open the .doc files and they were fine. I also recovered about 8gb worth of photos this morning (though I had about 30gb).

The weird thing is when I go into Swiss Army, I right click the drive and it says its 43gb - the exact amount storage of all my files. In my computer, it still says 990gb~ used.

I plugged it into a laptop running vista and before it booted up to the main OS, it's running some sorta scan.

On my screen it says : Bad Links in lost chain at cluster XXX,XXX corrected.

Is there any hope that when this is finished I will have the files back?

Arrow

I think your HDD is corrupted, i solved something like that using a software called Active@ KillDisk, which cleans every data on the HDD, so you can retry formatting. I also recommend you to format using another software then the windows' default one.