To quote: A new system software update (v4.00) will be released this week.
In preparation for the launch of PlayStation Vita (PS Vita) in Japan, this update will prepare PlayStation 3 (PS3) to serve as a content management device.
It will allow users to copy their digital content such as games, music, photos, and videos between PS Vita and PS3, back up PS Vita game games including save data to your PS3 hard drive, and update the system software for your PS Vita system using the network features of your PS3.
Other changes to take effect with this update include:
• PlayStation Plus members can now choose to enable or disable each automatic update feature:
• Game patches
• System software
• Recommended games and videos
• Sync trophy information
• New PlayStation Network settings for filtering friend requests and messages
You can find more details after the firmware goes live here. We look forward to your feedback.
Examiner.com reports the following hidden PS3 Firmware 4.0 features have also been discovered:
• Health warning screen upon system start up
• Game XMB hosts ‘PS Vita System Application Utility’ option
• System settings updated with ‘Delete PS Vita System's Backup Files’ option
• Health warnings tabs for games available under ‘Info’
• British English as system language option
• Remote Play option for PS Vita Available Requires Number Input to Vita Unit
According to PSNStores.com, in PS3 Firmware 4.0 the option to copy installed titles which have PSP playback ability has also been removed.
Instead you are forced to redownload all the titles you wish to put on the PSP and copy them over before they are installed.
Minis and PSOne titles are no longer auto-installed if you select to auto-shutdown after a background download.
Finally, from eussNL, an0nym0us and others via IRC:
[eussNL] besides the new psnpassphrase, the 0x19 keyrevisionset, the several added new sprx's, the still working downgrade and 'kind of' jailbreak, added PS Vita support (and extra attackvectors), a new SDK and trial to reduce PSN spambots ?
The E3 Flasher is confirmed working by the E3 Team with PS3 Firmware v4.00 but not from the XMB, you must use brick fix and then backup BiOS and in flash fun mode flash patched backup directly and the downgrade works.
Also _DiGiTaLAnGeL_ has confirmed that the PS3 Slim NOR downgrade with Progskeet still works like a charm on 4.00
From Glowball1: Hey guys just thought I'd upload the dev_flash and core_os files from the new PS3 4.0 firmware for all interested.
Doesn't seem like many changes but the major one for me as a themer is that they have changed the limitations some what on the raf.sprx and paf_psjs.sprx modules so you can only have 90 actors instead of 128.
Sony proving once again that they are in control if you want the best out of the PS3.
1. Download logan5tool http://www.multiupload.com/LME3FZYQU7
2. Uncheck on program Firmware Update
3. Start proxy
3. Go to Internet settings on PS3/ Set proxy
4. Set a IP and proxy with port 8080
5. Connect into PSN
can anyone try the e3 flasher for download from this and report back please.. i bought one online and then cancelled order as i thought there will be fw update.. lucky or stupid.. does it work still on 4.00.. please tell!!