Sponsored Links

PS4 News on Facebook! PS4 News on Twitter! PS4 News on YouTube! PS4 News RSS Feed!
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 88



  1. #11
    Toucan Sam CJPC's Avatar
    Sponsored Links
    Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by inginear View Post
    plus, companies like the air force and other research firms that use the power of linux on the ps3s hardware probably have a different support channel to sony than the end users do.
    Oh, with ease - for instance, just on the general PS3 line there are so many different types of custom sony-only firmwares that have never seen the light of day, would not be hard to keep support for a "linux only" firmware, in fact it could actually be safer if a linux only firmware was around - no chance of "hacking" the GameOS part!

  2. #12
    Sponsored Links
    So I already have a Linux OS installed on the hard drive. When this firmware comes out, and if it does in fact removed OtherOS, what happens to the existing partition? Will I simply lose the ability to switch to the already installed Linux OS from the menu?

    Will the partition get deleted and the free space reclaimed by the main PS3 OS or will the free space remain unclaimed?

    I realize the EULA states they can change things, but since I have used it like a standard computer for email, bookmarks, pictures, etc ... what ... they can just delete it without checking if personal data would be lost?

    I can totally see a class action occurring if people lose data without being given an official heads up and sufficient time to backup their stuff. Wow.

  3. #13

    Lightbulb

    That would be interesting if there were leaks of these sony only firmwares for the general public.

  4. #14
    Man, they really wanna protect their baby... I already saw Homebrew on the horizon, now they already begin to take it away from us?

  5. #15

    Thumbs Down

    This is getting nasty. If you can't play certain games without updating but you don't want to update because you lose otheros... what do you do?

    This just to stop piracy? Their competitors arent taking measures that screw over consumers (for the most part) so why are they. Sony is going to come out of this generation stinking very badly I think. Next gen they might not even be in the running anymore.

    Ideally an update should never deprive the consumer of what they bought the system for and if it does, it should not directly or indirectly be mandatory.

    Add this to the voice chat nonsense and sony is getting rather greedy. These companies can't be satisfied with just turning a profit I guess... they need to continue growing at any expense
    Last edited by semitope; 02-19-2010 at 05:56 PM

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Raze1988 View Post
    Man, they really wanna protect their baby... I already saw Homebrew on the horizon, now they already begin to take it away from us?
    I hope not perhaps someone will find a way to let us the otheros opinion with a custom FW

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    This just to stop piracy? Their competitors arent taking measures that screw over consumers (for the most part) so why are they.
    Err.. you mean no x360 bans? no 3rd party expansion blocking?

  8. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsusai View Post
    So out of curiosity where would it leave the non-consumer base buyers like the Airforce, who use these for cluster farms?
    In deep crap, I guess

    Might be interesting to watch the cbe-oss-dev list in the next few days since this rumor will hit this list sooner or later and the Sony PS3 Linux head honchos (Geoff and Geert) post there, too: http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cb...ry/thread.html

    Here's a quote from Geoff:
    Please be assured that SCE is committed to continue the support for previously sold models that have the "Install Other OS" feature and that this feature will not be disabled in future firmware releases.
    Source: http://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/cb...ry/007189.html

    Quote Originally Posted by ionbladez View Post
    I figured they would move to this. If I had a PS3 I would go straight for the RAM directly instead of using linux to read/write.

    A debug probe and a microcontroller is enough to read/write after exploitation.
    Boy - I would really like to see how you do that. You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. This isn't a chunk of slow SRAM on a microcontroller - we're talking about GHz signalling rates here paired with a proprietary (and not publically documented) memory bus. Try to tap into that with a microcontroller...
    Last edited by sapperlott; 02-19-2010 at 06:17 PM Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  9. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by CodeKiller View Post
    Err.. you mean no x360 bans? no 3rd party expansion blocking?
    Sure, Microsoft is by no means "clean" either, but their system hasn't been advertised as being compatible with 3rd party addons, whereas the PS3 has been marketed as being capable of installing another OS for awhile now.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by semitope View Post
    This is getting nasty. If you can't play certain games without updating but you don't want to update because you lose otheros... what do you do?

    This just to stop piracy? Their competitors arent taking measures that screw over consumers (for the most part) so why are they. Sony is going to come out of this generation stinking very badly I think. Next gen they might not even be in the running anymore.

    Ideally an update should never deprive the consumer of what they bought the system for and if it does, it should not directly or indirectly be mandatory.

    Add this to the voice chat nonsense and sony is getting rather greedy. These companies can't be satisfied with just turning a profit I guess... they need to continue growing at any expense
    I dont think sony will get affected by such a decision, most of their costumers buy a ps3 because its a GAMING machine. It also has free online play and the average joe doesnt care about linux, most dont even know it exists.

    Dont think as an above user, think as an average user because thats how the market works. Apple has done this for years they are actually close to renting you the device you own like an iphone, ipad but that didnt bite them in the ass. Corporations give the end user a device thats not free to use as they want but focuses on something and we as costumers pay for that something the machine focuses on.

    They will remove otheros and no body except us will care and guess what sony can live without us. In fact if they remove it I will keep buying games and their next generation console, because we want it to play games right? What did you buy your console for? linux? well I think its far cheaper and easy to get an average pc since we dont have acceleration anyway...

 

Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Please Register at PS4News.com, Login or Activate Your Account to make comments on the PS4 News Forums. Thanks!

Advertising - Affiliates - Contact Us - PS4 Downloads - PS4 Forums - Privacy Statement - Site Rules - Top - © 2015 PlayStation 4 News