02-19-2009 #1D3M0N2009 Guest
Rumor: PS3 Firmware 2.70 Details Leaked, Available Q2 2009
Neobara of the GT Forums (linked above) has shared the following allegedly leaked PS3 Firmware 2.7 details today:
Anyway, A friend of mine works in an R&D department at Sony and recently let me in on the firmware details for 2.7. If you were disappointed with 2.6, you'll probably like what you're about to hear, but it's still missing some very crucial (and heavily requested) features. Here's a list of the things he told me will be changed:
- Voice Messaging is now available as an alternative to text after selecting a user on the friends list. Voice message recordings are capped at 30 seconds.
- Home Integration: Saved Playstation Home avatar photos can be selected as photo ID for Gamer Card/Friends List.
- Trophy number and Gamer Level are listed under Friend names for quick reference.
Gamer Card & Trophies:
- Gamer Card layout has been changed to more closely resemble the Playstation Store aesthetic.
- Past Trophy information can be viewed in detail by selecting "Recent Trophy History" option.
- Newly aquired trophies auto-sync in the background
- Server infrastructure for Trophies has been optimized. Resulting in faster retrieval time for Gamer Card and Trophy information.
- Loading time for In-Game XMB has been drastically reduced, resulting in a more seemless in-game experience.
- "Theme settings" options while in-game is now available, allowing custom themes to be applied to the In-Game XMB.
- Internet Browser can now be accessed while in-game.
- Voice messaging and voice chat options can be used while in-game.
- Options that cannot be used in the XMB during game sessions are grayed out (but still selectable) to eliminate user accessibility confusion.
- Other slight UI tweaks and enhancements.
Seems like there is still no word on cross-game invites, but I think the integration of Home (as small as it is) into the rest of the Playstation experience is still a step in the right direction. The update is pretty big but he said it would hit sometime in Q2 of '09.
More PlayStation 3 News...
- Join Date
- Apr 2005
I was showing this to CJPC on IRC, and was going to post it but saw you already had it in the submission que hehe!
+Rep to you D3M0N2009, and it will indeed be interesting to see how much of this is accurate... both the features and timeframe of the release.
02-19-2009 #3Veritech Guest
Finaly we get in-game voice chat, I've been waiting for this feature for quite some time now. Lets hope that they focus the increased speeds of in-game XMB load times to co-exist with a lag free chat service. I've been waiting for features like these and and also would like to see chat implemented with the video, audio, and internet browser as well.
I personally use the chat service often to round up friends for a game or to organize games we'll be playing. It's also a lot more comfortable of a communication tool than other formats.
I also belive that an avatar update/facelift is well over due. I'm not just stating this because of XBOX360's newest update, I've been thinking about it well before that update even hit. With the PS3's high statute it should offer much more user customizable profile features, seriously.
Anyways thanks for the info guys it is greatly appreciated, and informative. Lets just hope we will se something closely resembling this patch soon.
02-19-2009 #4BlingOnMyWrist Guest
I can't believe it! In game themes, in game chat, Home avatars. Things that we have been discussing/requesting so much in the Official PS Forums for a long time. This looks to be an amazing update, and so I'm sure that we will have hardly any more requests for Sony. And it's all free too!
I hope this will be early Q2, I can't wait!
02-19-2009 #5MrWiggles Guest
I'm excited about the in-game web browsing. A person can have a walk through guide loaded up and still play.
02-19-2009 #6plains203 Guest
02-19-2009 #7lonix81 Guest
the PS3 really need's a download scheduler so that you can set it to switch on and download you Demo's etc in off peak data times
02-19-2009 #8AleX364 Guest
I wont skype in ps3.. wtf the psp has it for some time now
02-19-2009 #9Kellog Guest
So if this is all true, I can finally open a voice chat contact with my friend(s) via ps3 and use it all the time when playing different games, not playing at all etc. ?
I was just wondering what happends in games which have their own voice chat enabled, I'm not sure if I can just turn it off from all of the games when I have voice device enabled (which have to be enabled to use voice chat). Probably both programs can't use the voice device at the same time, but maybe there is some kind of override policy involved ?
It is also interesting to see how much online capasity the chat would use (bps / response time increasement). Hopefully the chat can adjust its parameters dynamically depending of resources of the moment.
02-19-2009 #10D3M0N2009 Guest