Update: PS3 Update Checker v1.1 is now available with a changelog HERE.Sponsored Links
Further to the recent 2.70 firmware release that quickly disappeared, I've written a little app which may help out if the same thing happens again...
PS3 Update Checker v1 is a very basic tool to do just this on a windows PC with .NET framework 3.5 installed.
Download: PS3 Update Checker v1 (Firmware Auto-Downloader)
1. Make sure you have .NET framework 3.5 installed and are using a PC! (Not Mac, PS3, PSP or anything else!)
2. Run PS3UpdateChecker.exe
(Feel free to virus check etc, but you will need to allow this through any firewall otherwise you'll never get your downloads!)
3. Enter the relevant URL for the ps3-updatelist.txt file for your region.
4. Enter a path where you would like any downloads to go.
5. Enter a starting firmware number (this should generally be the current latest firmware number, but you can test downloads by entering an old number!)
6. Tick the "Check on Timer" box (default will check every 30 secs, but this can be changed too if you want).
7. Leave it running
Assuming you've ticked the timer box, it will automatically get the latest ps3-updatelist.txt file and check the software version against the version numeber you've provided - if the .txt file shows a newer firmware is available the util will automatically switch to downloading the PS3UPDAT.PUP (Naming it x.x_PS3UPDAT.PUP where x.x is the firmware version of the file)
Please note that this quick code and while i've tried to prevent any bugs, it is possible that some may exist. Please also note that this is coded for an ENGLISH PC and while it may work in other language sets, it is possible that you may experience problems.
1. Pausing / Resuming can sometimes 'hang' the application - the solution to this is to right click on the application's tool bar button - very strange bug that i've not been able to iron out just yet.
2. I'm not entirely sure that the bandwidth calcs are correct, but since it's not a major issue this is being overlooked for now!
Unknown - written and tested on Windows XP SP3 cannot guarentee it'll work on anything else, but don't see why it wouldn't given sufficient permissions.
Please report any bugs with as much detail as possible, but note that I like others do not have a large amount of time to spend on this.
More PlayStation 3 News...