PS4 News on Facebook! PS4 News on Twitter! PS4 News on YouTube! PS4 News RSS Feed!

PS4News.com PSTwo Console Information Section

1) What is the difference between a PS2 and a PSTwo console?

For starters, a PS2 looks like THIS; whereas a PSTwo looks like THIS. Other differences include an external Network Adaptor for the PS2, while the PSTwo utilizes a new built-in Ethernet Adaptor so as a result the PSTwo displays the unit's MAC Address on the VersionInformation screen as displayed below, unlike original PS2 consoles:

The PS2 console also comes with a built-in power supply, but in contrast the PSTwo comes with an external power supply. PSTwo is also equipped with an OEM "Flip-Top" or top-loading lid as shown HERE, whereas the standard PS2 uses an ejecting drive tray. It is also important to NOTE that despite rumors, both the PSTwo andPS2 game console come equipped with two USB 1.1 speed ports.

Finally, while the traditional PS2 console supports the Swap Magic CD2.0, DVD 2.0, CD 3.0, and CD 3.2, the new PSTwo console onlysupports the Swap Magic CD 3.3 (latest version) and DVD 3.3. Also,it is worth noting the infamous PS2 Independence Exploit (aka PS2"Memory Card" Exploit) will only work on a standard PS2 machine...unfortunately $ony squashed it on the new PSTwo console rendering it useless on them.Time will tell if a new Exploit gets discovered.

2) Can I modify my PSTwo for LEGAL PS2 back-ups and import games?

YES.In order to modify your new PSTwo console you will need:

- 15-watt Soldering Iron or similar (Radio Shack #64-2051B)
    - 60/40 standard Rosin-Core Solder .032 diameter or similar
    - Flux-Pen (aids in re-work, although not completely necessary)
    - 1/4" Split-Point drill bit to make the hole for the toggle switch
    - SPST Micromini Toggle Switch (Radio Shack #275-624)
    - 30AWG Kynar or similar single-strand wire (2pcs x approx 6in ea)
    - Small piece of electrical (preferred) or duct tape or equivalent
    - Micro Mini Screwdriver set (Phillips and Flat/Slotted Heads)
    - Hairdryer is optional, used to aid in bonding the tape better

With the above supplies and your PSTwo console, you can begin work!We often are asked why wiring a Switch is necessary, and the answer to that is because in order to use the CD/DVD Loaderswith your Swap Magic Discs for the 'problem' titles you need to be able to perform both detected and undetected swaps... so simply taping both of the tray sensors will NOT work alone unfortunately.

3) How do I modify my PSTwo for LEGAL PS2 back-ups and imports?

A) Begin by soldering approximately 6-inch wire leads to both of the terminals on your Toggle Switch as shown HERE.

B) Remove the Warranty Sticker from your PSTwo console... by doing so you are VOIDING your 90-day warranty remember!

C) Turn your PSTwo console over and then remove these Six (6) Screw Covers & Screws using your Micro Mini Screwdrivers.

D) Carefully separate and remove the PSTwo top cover from the bottom shell lifting from the back-left corner forward. If you hear a slight 'snap' around the back-right corner this is common, however, be sure to exercise proper judgement so you do not crack your case. (ie: Do NOT FORCE anything!)

E) Flip over the top cover and take notice of THIS area. Next, remove THIS spring and unscrew the adjacent pan-head screw... and then take the Disc Brake out as shown HERE.

F) Next, on the bottom shell half locate the single Phillips Head screw in front of the GamePad ports and remove it. Then, carefully remove the mainboard and attached control board together from the bottom plastic case making sure NOT to rip the flex wire attaching the two together... or just unplug it.

G) Now, use your 1/4" Split-Point drill bit to make THIS hole in the location displayed.If you have having difficulty locating the place, it is in the upper-left corner of the bottom shell half when standing it facing you upright ($ONY sticker is at bottom).

H) Once the hole is made, insert your Toggle Switch from the insideof the bottom shell and secure it with the nut provided as shown. HERE is a close-up of what it should look like when it's installed.

I) With the Toggle Switch installed, return the PSTwo mainboard and control board to the bottom shell and don't forget to secure the single Phillips Head screw back in the proper place as well.

J) Now it's time to take care of those (2) nasty lid sensors!First, we will tackle the easy one located HERE on the PSTwo mainboard. HERE is a close-up of it, and to bypass this one simply put a tiny piece of electrical or duct tape over it! If your tape doesn't seem to stick well, then try heating it a bit with a Hairdryer... followed by pressing down with your finger on it until it's secured in place.

NOTE: If you can't get the tape to stick at all, or you are seeking a more permanent means of bypassing this sensor you can remove the sensor cover by carefully inserting a tiny Flat/Slotted Head screwdriver under the Sensor Cover Clip to lift it off. Once off, simply solder the (2) strips together inside as displayed HERE, and the sensor will then be permanently disabled from triggering.

K) The second (and last) sensor is next, only this one requires being connected to the Toggle Switch you previously wired up.First,carefully grasp the control board and FLIP it over while it is still connected to the mainboard. Next, if you have a Flux-Pen use it on terminals 1 & 2 followed by soldering the Toggle Switch wires to it as shown HERE. It doesn't matter which of the ends gets soldered to which terminal number as it will function either way. However, if you prefer your Toggle Switch 'resting' in a specific position, then feel free to experiment before soldering.

L) When soldering is complete, it's time to flip back over the controlboard as shown HERE, making sure to carefully tuck the soldered wires neatly away before re-installing your PSTwo top cover. If you recall, re-assembly consists of securing the top cover to the bottom half... followed by re-inserting the (6) screws and covers.

M) Finally the moment arrives... PSTwo modification completed!

PS4News.com PS2 Compatability List for USB Extreme

USB Hard Disk Drive F.A.Q.

Comparability List For USB Extreme:

Titles not listed are WORKING, or they have not been reported yet.

[Register or Login to view code]

PS4News.com PS2 Site Frequently Asked Questions

1) What is the purpose of PS4NEWS.COM?

The purpose of this Web site is to provide all PS2 (now PS3 and PS4) end-users with accurate information on how to play LEGAL game back-ups On-Line, and also how to play them using an internal PS2 Hard Disk Drive.

2) OK- I have a PS2 console & Network Adaptor already, what next?

We recommend you read this entire F.A.Q. first, and then read the detailed information available on our ON-LiNE page linked above. If, after reading everything you still have a specific question, we invite you to discuss it on the PS4News Forums with us.

3) Can I ask for PS2 HDD/On-Line help on other PS4News.com sections?

Absolutely not. PS4 News has made it 100% clear that PS2 HDD/On-Line chat is ONLY to be discussed in the designated Forum boards there, or your account & IP will be banned and you will be unable to access our Web sites again!

4) Speaking of BANNiNG, is it true $ony is banning PS2 consoles using publicly shared Disc IDs patched into LEGAL back-up game discs?

YES.$ony is actively monitoring the Internet, including Web sites such as this one, and they are logging Disc IDs which are shared. Then, similar to blacklisting PC serial numbers from servers, $ony bans the PS2 console ID of those using the same Disc ID on-line.

This is why we DO NOT allow anyone to post nor share their Disc IDs here!Doing so will get you banned from our sites, and should enough people login using the same Disc ID to $ony's servers their PS2consoles will end up being banned from on-line play for ALL titles indefinitely.

5) How come my friend who uses public Disc IDs isn't banned yet?

Your friend should consider themself lucky. The exact number of duplicate Disc IDs permitted before $ony will begin banning PS2 consoles (for being simultaneously logged in using the same Disc ID)may vary. However, having colleagues at the "Big $" ourself proved quite useful... it didn't take us long to catch word that this is how $ony is indeed combating all of the recent DNA$ developments.

6) OK- so each Disc ID is unique... how many are there then?

Well, it's a FACT the first (3) octets make up the unique Disc ID,and the last (2) will be similar for like title/regions. With that being said, there can be a total of over 16 million individual Disc IDs.

7) If my PS2 console gets permanently banned, how will I know?

First of all, we'd like to clarify that a PS2 console being permanently banned from $ony's network servers is different than being banned,for example, if you were caught cheating in a game on-line. If you are caught cheating, unless you're a continuous offender, you will only be banned for a short duration from that particular on-line title.

In comparison, if your PS2 console ID (not Disc ID, as we know that those aren't banned) is permanently banned on $ony network servers you will NOT receive any DNA$ error code, rather your PS2 will simply always hang on the "connecting to server screen" never making it any farther... regardless of what game you're trying to play on-line.

8) My PS2 console is banned... how can I fix it to play on-line again?

We suggest you look into the Paradox Machine ID Changer for accomplishing this task.It will allow the end-user to change the PS2 Console and ILink IDs. For those wondering, BOTH of these IDs are stored in the PS2's NVM (Non-Volatile Memory) and together make up the unique PS2 Machine ID. Both of these IDs must be successfully changed before a previously-banned PS2 console will be able to access the $ony server networks again for on-line play.

9) Is there any way to play a USA game on-line using a PAL console?

YES.When logging on the server, both the Disc ID and the MachineIDs are authenticated.The Machine ID includes a REGION algorithm so that PAL consoles can only connect to PAL lobby servers for on-line play of a PAL title. Attempting to play an NTSC (US/JAP) titleon-line with a PAL PS2 console will result in an -833 DNA$ error even when the LEGAL back-up is properly patched... this is due to the Machine ID authentication that also occurs when connecting on-line.

With the above stated, YES using the PS2 Machine ID Changer.

10) What are the current GCC programs available on this site used for?

Disc ID Utility V0.2A: This is the program by Paradox used to obtain a Disc ID from an original PS2 game disc.Once obtained, the Disc ID can be patched to a LEGAL back-up of the original game disc.

Image Patcher V1.6: This is the program by PS4NEWS.COM used to patch the Disc ID (obtained from an original PS2 game disc) to the LEGAL back-up disc of it. This utility requires NO importing/re-building to use, however, for a few titles it may not properly detect the DNA$routines to patch so is somewhat limited... but overall easier to use.Full usage instructions are available HERE for our Image Patcher.

Disc ID Insertor V2.20: This is the program by LudaKris used to patch the Disc ID (obtained from an original PS2 game disc) to the LEGAL back-up disc of it. This utility requires importing and imagere-building to use, however, full usage instructions on doing so are available HERE for those wanting to learn.In the long-run we're told this patcher won't require further updating, but it is geared primarily towards more experienced users.

PS4News.com USB HDD Frequently Asked Questions

1) What do I need to play PS2 games on a Slimline PSTwo console HDD?

You will need the following:the USB Extreme software, a PSTwo console, and a suitable internal Hard Disk Drive with a USB enclosure. If you do not already have an IDE HDD or USB enclosure, then you may choose to get an external USB HDD instead- either will work. Pictured below is what I am using, a 120GB Maxtor IDE 7200RPM HDD inside of an $18 USB 2.0 external enclosure- looks sharp too!

2) I have my IDE HDD & USB case, or USB HDD- what is next?

First, format the HDD you plan to use for your PSTwo console in NTFS file system format (as a slave drive) while in Windows XP/Windows 2K. This can be accomplished simply by right-clicking on the drive in MyComputer, selecting Format..., followed by the NTFS File System.If you require further assistance with this task, additional information is available HERE as well.

Next, determine if you want to use DOS or Win32 tools to re-format the HDD and manage games.If you use the USB Extreme DOS tools then download them and proceed directly to Step #3 below.If you wish to use the USB Extreme Win32 utility instead (recommended),then skip right to Step #4 below now.

3) How do I use the USB Extreme DOS tools with my HDD?

First download these USB Extreme DOS tools that are used both tore-format the HDD and install your games to the HDD using your PC. Unzip them (with WinZip) to your C:\ drive, open to a DOS(command) Prompt by clicking Start and then selecting Run...followed by typing cmd in the box and then clicking the OK button.Once the prompt box opens, type cd c:\ and press the ENTER button. It should bring you to the next line down, at a C:\> prompt. Now, (using the included ul_format.exe utility) type the following after the C:\> prompt:

C:\>ul_format [PSTWO DRIVE LETTER] format

NOTE: In the above example, [PSTWO DRIVE LETTER] is replaced by your own, for example "E" was mine as displayed HERE.

Next, click Y to the prompt and wait until it finishes as shown.It will usually take a few minutes only.Now, using Windows XP right-click on My Computer, select Properties, then navigate to Hardware,Device Manager, Disk Drives, select your PSTwo (IDE/USB) HDD and right-click on it selecting Properties there. Now, on the Policiestab select Optimize For Performance and click OK. In doing this, it will speed up transfers from 1MBps to around 10-15MBps! However, it is important to NOTE to unplug the device properly (selecting "Unplug or Eject Hardware") while the device is in use and connected to your PC.

To install PS2 games to your PSTwo HDD, once again open a DOS Prompt by clicking Start and then selecting Run... followed by typing cmd in the box and then clicking the OK button.Once the prompt box opens, type cd c:\ and press the ENTER button.It should bring you to the next line down, at a C:\> prompt. Now, (using the included ul_install.exe utility) type the following after the C:\>prompt:

C:\>ul_install [SOURCE] [DESTINATION] [GAME NAME] [MEDIA]

NOTE: In the above example, [SOURCE] is replaced by your own drive letter, for example "D" was mine as displayed HERE. Also above, [DESTINATION] is replaced by your PSTwo HDD letter (mine was"E"), and enter any name you wish for the [GAMENAME]followed by either CD or DVD for the [MEDIA] type based on what the original game disc is on.Press the ENTER key to start the transfer of each game from your PC's CD/DVD drive to the HDD, or if you have .iSO images on your PC then virtually mount them to a drive letter using Alcohol 120%- cool stuff indeed!

4) How do I use the USB Extreme Win32 utility with my HDD?

First download this USB Extreme Win32 Utility that is used both tore-format the HDD and install your games (and delete them) to the HDD using your PC. Unzip it (with WinZip) to your desktop and double-click on it, followed by clicking on the Disk Format tab and clicking the Format button to being up the HDD selection prompt. Choose the drive you wish to Re-Format for use with USB Extreme,and then click OK and wait until it finishes.It will usually take a few minutes to complete only depending on the size of your PS2 HDD.

Once it has completed successfully, using Windows XP right-click on My Computer, select Properties, then navigate to Hardware,Device Manager, Disk Drives, select your PSTwo (IDE/USB) HDD and right-click on it selecting Properties there.Now, on the Policiestab select Optimize For Performance and click OK. In doing this, it will speed up transfers from 1MBps to around 10-15MBps!However, it is important to NOTE to unplug the device properly (selecting "Unplug or Eject Hardware") while the device is in use and connected to your PC.

To install PS2 games to your PSTwo HDD, once again double-click on the USB Extreme Win32 Utility located on your desktop, and on theGames Installer tab (ensure that your USB HDD is plugged in and initialized) select your source drive from the "CD/DVD ROM Drive"menu, choose the media type (based on what media the original game disc is on), and finally select your PSTwo HDD destination drive letter from the other drop-down menu.Now type in a desired Game Nameand press the START button and wait watching the progress bar. When you see it has completed game installation, simply press OK.

NOTE: On the Games Installer tab if you right-click on the desiredGame Name you can Delete, ReName, and Copy them also.

5) I have games on my HDD, now how can I play them on the PSTwo?

Unplug your PSTwo HDD from your PC and plug it into your PSTwo's front USB slot as shown below.

Now plug in/power ON both the USB HDD and PSTwo console.

Insert your USB Extreme DVD software disc and let it load up.

Once it loads, you will see the USB Extreme menu screen below.You should also see the PS2 games installed to your PSTwo HDD.

Navigate around the menu screen with your PSTwo controller.Select a game to play, and then push right on the gamepad. When the menu START button is highlighted, press X to play!

If the game is compatible with USB Extreme then you will see the "Please Wait" prompt briefly as the game boots up.

A few seconds later, you can enjoy your game as shown!!

Congratulations, you have successfully learned to play games on your PSTwo console using an IDE HDD with a USB enclosure, or a USB HDD!Be sure to check out our site's USB Extreme page for the most up-to-date compatibility list of games. Enjoy!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12