Page 1 of 4 12 ... Last

PS3 HDD Toolbox v0.94 and PS3 Update Extractor v1.12 out!

Today adrian6184 sent word that Spanish PS3 Dev ifcaro released PS3 HDD Toolbox v0.94 over the weekend followed by v0.95, which is based on the recent work of knightsolidus and used to facilitate the encryption and decryption of the PS3 HDD.

Also available from ifcaro is PS3 Update Extractor v1.12, which is a revision of NDT's previous work used to extract recent PS3 updates files.

Download: PS3 HDD Toolbox v0.94 / PS3 HDD Toolbox v0.95 / PS3 Update Extractor v1.12

PS3 Update Extractor v1.12 generated files are:

- ExtractionLog.txt - Log removal of the PUP.
    - PUPHeader.bin - It clipped the top of the PUP.
    - ps3version.txt - Indicates the version of the update.
    - license.xml - File with the conditions that must accept to install the update.
    - isdebug.txt - Take "0000" if retail and "0100" if debug.
    - ps3swu.self - The executable update.
    - vsh.tar - is decompressed at the root of the FAT to upgrade. Previously data was now only a file named "a" of 0 bytes.
    - puntos.txt - It is a text file with three points.
    - Modules.tar - The file with data update.

Note: If you get an error running the app, install Microsoft .Net Framework v3.5 from here and then retry: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

More PlayStation 3 News...

Help ;)

Someone with more experience please ... What does it do exactly? or what is it food for?!

Ifcaro hinted at the PS3 HDD Toolbox app here: http://www.ps4news.com/forums/ps3-ha...tml#post265116

Basically what it does is make it less painful to use knightsolidus' method for encrypting/decrypting data on the PS3 HDD.

You load either a HDD image or browse to a HDD itself from the app, and then it allows you to manipulate the data block using the options on the right side and then extract or regenerate it.

Obviously the tool (along with knightsolidus' method) is intended for Devs, but end-users can be happy in knowing this tool makes the tedious tasks involved in experimentation a lot faster for the folks doing the work.

Well i know the PS3 Update Extractor, will pull apart a PS3 Firmware Update.. so you can view/edit the contents..

But of course its only one way.. no way to re-compile/encrypt.

Not sure of the other one, im assuming a tool to patch files to work with the harddrive, for use with a debug/test playstation 3. Someone else will have to confirm that for me.. im just guessing.

Thanks PS3 News!

I actually knew what it was all about, but I have never tried to work on the HDD so I was kinda clueless of what the program EXACTLY does. I must try to see with my own eyes...

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by gtxboyracer View Post
    Not sure of the other one, im assuming a tool to patch files to work with the harddrive, for use with a debug/test playstation 3. Someone else will have to confirm that for me.. im just guessing.
    I answered it above.. beat ya by one minute!

But to avoid confusion, the app is intended for use on retail PS3 HDD's... mainly it's a time-saving utility as those who already have been working on PS3 HDD encrypt/decrypt stuff have been doing it manually to date (except NDT, I think he has a similar app but not released yet) which is very time-consuming.

@mihaiolimpiu: No prob.. don't feel bad, I haven't either. A few of the Devs have, but most don't have the amount time it takes so this handy tool may pique their interest.

Quote Originally Posted by PS3 News View Post
    I answered it above.. beat ya by one minute!

But to avoid confusion, the app is intended for use on retail PS3 HDD's... mainly it's a time-saving utility as those who already have been working on PS3 HDD encrypt/decrypt stuff have been doing it manually to date (except NDT, I think he has a similar app but not released yet) which is very time-consuming.

@mihaiolimpiu: No prob.. don't feel bad, I haven't either. A few of the Devs have, but most don't have the amount time it takes so this handy tool may pique their interest.
    I see "magic blocks" and "key.bin" there. What are they? Has a method been found to decrypt parts of the HDD when it is outside PS3? I mean previously you had to copy a file into PS3, find its blocks and rewrite them with encrypted blocks from HDD (you'd do this with PC with PS3's HDD attached), then copy the file back from PS3 (it would get decrypted).

Very interesting! From 1-10, how integral might this be to finally cracking the PS3's seemingly impenetrable shell?

Quote Originally Posted by RexVF5 View Post
    I see "magic blocks" and "key.bin" there. What are they? Has a method been found to decrypt parts of the HDD when it is outside PS3? I mean previously you had to copy a file into PS3, find its blocks and rewrite them with encrypted blocks from HDD (you'd do this with PC with PS3's HDD attached), then copy the file back from PS3 (it would get decrypted).
    That is something CJPC, NDT, knightsolidus, or ifcaro would probably know the answer to. If none of the latter three reply with the answer, I will slap CJPC around a little tonight to get him to reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by travis134 View Post
    Very interesting! From 1-10, how integral might this be to finally cracking the PS3's seemingly impenetrable shell?
    My understanding is this is just a time-saver app for those tinkering with files on the PS3 HDD, so I'd say we are no closer than we were before knightsolidus' initial method was leaked.

I believe that sharing tools of this type to the public will result in letting SONY knows bout the "holes".
    That's why i don't release my tools anymore.

By the way HDD store nothing of important, actually the update process is well protected even if decrypted, so this tool lead to nothing.

Page 1 of 4 12 ... Last