PS4 News on Facebook! PS4 News on Twitter! PS4 News on YouTube! PS4 News RSS Feed!


 
 
  1. #1

    Exclamation PS3 FAN Test For The 20/40/60/80 GB (as far as i know all the ps3's)!

    I've seen alot of posts about people wanting the fan test for their 60 GB PS3s, and yes there is a way! Simply turn your PS3 on normally and hold it vertically in midair with the vent side facing down. Wait 10 to 15 seconds (depending on how hot your PS3 was before) and it will begin to cycle through the fan levels to its highest while blowing any dust out of it.

    After 15 to 30 seconds of this, or until it warns you that your PS3 may be over-heating (It thinks it must be over-heating because why would the fans be on so high? When in fact it is just fine), just place it back down in its horizontal position and the fan will go back down to normal.

    I did this twice to my 60 GB, not sure if it works for 80 GB please let me know, and it certainly cleared alot of dust out. I'd say its safe to do once or twice a month without causing too much stress on the fans, and I base that on absolutely nothing. ENJOY!

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=6uY3YB7NC08

    have fun!!!!

    (warning!!! don't try if warrentie is still in affect.)


    EDIT as requested:

    http://youtube.com/watch?v=AcHJzhzUCYk
    http://crackle.com/c/How_To/PS3_60_G...26fu%3D2383613
    Last edited by wicked insanity; 04-14-2008 at 01:52 PM

  2. #2
    Think I won't bother! If it's getting that hot that the fans kick in then how my strain are you putting on the ps3. It's probably safe as i imagine the threshold settings for the fans are low, but why risk it. You may as well stick a piece of paper in front of the front vents....

  3. #3

    Big Grin

    Quote Originally Posted by daveasbury View Post
    Think I won't bother! If it's getting that hot that the fans kick in then how my strain are you putting on the ps3. It's probably safe as i imagine the threshold settings for the fans are low, but why risk it. You may as well stick a piece of paper in front of the front vents....
    yea thats true, but one of my friend ps3 is always full of dust, because he doens't cleans it, so for thouse guys out there also having that problem can you do this :P

  4. #4
    what about the 80gb model?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowstitch View Post
    what about the 80gb model?
    works the same, i just did it after a match of cod4.

  6. #6
    now when you say hold it vertical, you mean with the fan facing downward or what? but why not just use the electronics spray? seems a lot easier and safer.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    29,569

    Arrow

    Quote Originally Posted by killergg View Post
    That video link is now dead... here is another for those interested:

    http://crackle.com/c/How_To/PS3_60_G...26fu%3D2383613

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3News View Post
    That video link is now dead... here is another for those interested:

    http://crackle.com/c/How_To/PS3_60_G...26fu%3D2383613
    thanks ps3news i can confirm it works on the 80gb model

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PS3News View Post
    That video link is now dead... here is another for those interested:

    http://crackle.com/c/How_To/PS3_60_G...26fu%3D2383613
    Video gone, youtube still has it though. Did the test on my 60gb works like a charm no dust coming out though, i vacuum it from time to time.

 




Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Register, Login or Activate Your Account to post on the forums.