Open PS2 Loader v0.7 for PS3 with Source Code is Released
It's been awhile since the previous update, but today Ifcaro has released Open PS2 Loader v0.7 for PS3 complete with Source Code.
For those unaware, this application allows for loading PS2 iSO images on PlayStation 3 consoles with PS2 support... meaning it must be a non-Slim PlayStation 3 model with (4) USB ports.
Download: Open PS2 Loader v0.7 for PS3 / Open PS2 Loader v0.7 Source Code
PS3 Open PS2 Loader Changelog v0.7:
- Improved network startups and various fixes
- Added internal HDD support (HDL format)
- Added the ability to choose the default menu (USB, NET, HDD games)
- Added the ability to use a valid disc ID for online games
- Added a fix for modchip freezing (maybe not all modchips)
- Many new game compatibility fixes
- Added IGR (In Game Reset) with a disable per game option
- Added Alphabetical Sorting
- Changed Settings categories
- Added page scrolling (R1/L1)
- Added support for user language files
- Network support added for PS3
- Zipped Theme support
- Added PCMCIA support for the 18K
Open PS2 Loader is a 100% open source game loader compatible with
USB Advance/Extreme game format. It's more compatible and it should work without ps2load or change DNASXXX.IMG tricks.
Open PS2 Loader also is developed continuously and anyone can contribute improvements to the project.
The main objective is to support both the PS2 and the PS3 with backward compatibility.
How to use:
First, you need an USB device compatible with PS2/PS3 formatted in FAT32 (only if you want to load games from USB).
For using games directly from USB, game parts file must be perfectly
defragmented, either file by file, either by whole drive.
You can use this great software, Power Defragmenter:
For loading games by SMB protocol you need to share a folder called PS2SMB (it can be changed) make sure that it has permissions for anyone to access. The games have to be in USB Advance/Extreme format.
There are some programs
for converting games to this format. Open PS2 Loader includes an command line tool for that purpose called iso2usbld. Other utilities are: USBUtil 2.0, USB Extreme installer or USB Insane.
In PS2 you can use any of the existing methods for loading an executable ELF.
In PS3 you need to have an original SwapMagic 3.6+ or 3.8 (at the moment there aren't any other option).
The steps for loading Open PS2 Loader in a PS3 are:
1. Rename OpenPS2LD.ELF to SMBOOT0.ELF
2. Make a folder in root of USB device called SWAPMAGIC and copy SMBOOT0.ELF to it.
3. Launch SwapMagic in PS3 and press UP+L1 then Open PS2 Loader should start.
Finally, there are 4 forms for launching ELFs in SwapMagic:
SMBOOT0.ELF = UP + L1
SMBOOT1.ELF = UP + L2
SMBOOT2.ELF = UP + R1
SMBOOT3.ELF = UP + R2
More PlayStation 3 News...
is there any way to burn the swapmagic? i haven't seen it anywhere on sale on the internet or elsewhere?
Mmm... Awesome news! I wish slim PS3's would get some action.
how did the people who made swapdisc manage to get the ps2 to read it like its an original? if they found a way to sign files i wonder why no one else has found it yet.
So I guess that with the ps3 network feature, there is no more movie lag or gamelag, since the problem was that playing games from usb was at usb 1.1 speeds right?
Can anyone confirm if games are full speed now running over LAN, I been waiting to play ICO a long time now. Thanks
This works with 80gb fat ps3?... because i remember the first usb loaders only worked with 60gb models.