09-01-2011 #11Natepig Guest
Quite often on other forums, signatures are used to flame other users, which is never nice.
09-01-2011 #12oVERSoLDiER Guest
Yes, we all know how gladly Boss and the Moderators love to see such scenarios here. No, of course the signature have to be strict and clear, like any other articulation here in the Forum.
- Join Date
- Apr 2005
I have +Rep'd all feedback since my last post checkpoint... I will also keep the competition idea in mind as another way to encourage others to become a little more active here.
09-01-2011 #14jamesnesc709 Guest
i would like to see it here boss
09-02-2011 #15elser1 Guest
the fact this forum doesn't have sigs is one of the reasons i love it so much. i agree that they clutter up and if we start having them i think the smaller the better. maybe like 25-50. and have an option you can pay to have a special sig thats maybe 100 (if you wanna advert. something etc). i don't think having sigs will make "lurkers"post more.. for someone like me and the other regulars here that post daily people are gonna get sick of our sigs very quickly.. LOL
but that being said you guys do what you think is best for the site as whatever method you use to decide how the forum will appear and run works excellently. cheers
09-06-2011 #16Neo Cyrus Guest
I pretty much agree with Tidusake's opinion.
1) Yes, Junior and above
2) Text + links should be okay, anyone trying to abuse links for ads or to spread malware can be dealt with accordingly
3) Roughly 50-75 pixels should be small enough not to interfere
4) I don't see why not for all users
5) To most it will likely make no difference at all, it makes none to me
09-06-2011 #17saviour07 Guest
1) Should they be only for Jr. Members or above classes? The reason this may be a good idea is to eliminate spammers from joining as Registered Users and then making BS posts to quickly abuse the signature privilege.
I'm torn between Jr. Members and Members being the lowest rank to use Sigs. But at a push I would say Jr. Members only because you are already quite active at a Jr. Member rank and stretching people to become even more active to gain Sig privileges could become more of a deterrent.
2) Should the signature field allow text only, text and links, or text, links and images?
I've always seen Sigs as a personal thing and when I use them I use images and hate the idea of putting links. Text should be of a small text font (10/12pt) and images should be non animated images (so no GIFs!). I personally dislike links but can see the advantages to having them in advertising Sigs.
3) What size (in height) of a signature field should we allow? Perhaps 50, 75, 100, 125 or 150 px (example below) in size? Any larger and it may be obtrusive/overkill I'm thinking...
75 as standard with 100-150 being for people who wish to advertise a legitimate business/site which requires a donation to the site to enable the larger size Sig.
4) Should we allow certain UserGroups (or even all UserGroups) to disable signatures in the User CP area if a person doesn't wish to view them?
I think only the User Groups who are eligible to use Sigs should be allowed to block them. It's only fair that if you can use it, you can hide it.
5) If we enabled Forum signatures, would it encourage users (including yourself) to post more or less, or do you feel it would have little effect on Forum posting?
Sigs don't necessarily encourage me to post more or less, neither does seeing other user's Sigs (I won't be blocking them), however I can understand how it could encourage others to post more (i.e. advertising).
- Join Date
- Apr 2005
I have +Rep'd the last few feedback replies since my previous checkpoint here now... that said, I'm still on the fence regarding signatures also.
Based on Internet research of how to stimulate Forum posting I was expecting to get some replies from newer members stating that they would be inclined to post more if they could use signatures in them... but this may not be completely accurate after all, at least for our site.
We still may implement them either way and (of course) take some of these suggestions into account, but at the same time we also may look into other ideas on how to encourage commenting on the news articles, etc. If anyone has ideas not yet mentioned, feel free to continue sharing them here!
09-07-2011 #19DaedalusMinion Guest
Actually, if the signatures were small enough, the GIFs would be acceptable. Personally, the only thing I would put in my signature would be my Twitter handle. That is one thing I kinda need.
09-08-2011 #20jamesnesc709 Guest
i would really like to see signatures for mods and all the way down to junior members