Microsoft's Robbie Bach did a CES 2010 interview today, and while most of it is just a general conversation if you skip to 11:50 in the video he mentions "XBox Game Room" which sounds like it will be a one stop shop for retro games as first rumored.
Below is the official Fact Sheet information regarding the 'Game Room' which has now been made available:
- Relive the glory days of the classic arcade. "Game Room" replicates the old-school look, sound and feel of a retro video game arcade. At launch, "Game Room" will bring you a library of 30 original arcade and console classics such as "Centipede®" and "Asteroids Deluxe®" from Atari Inc. and other favorites from Activision Inc., Intellivision, Konami Corp. and more, all shown in their original cabinets.
Create a brand-new social environment your avatar can explore, trick out your "game room" by arranging your cabinets, and decorate each room with themes and animated icons from your favorite games. With weekly new title releases, your arcade will soon be retrofitted to perfection.
- Prove you're the arcade master. Think you have what it takes? Challenge friends to beat your high score by sending custom challenges and taunts across platforms, earn Achievements, unlock levels and climb your way to the top of universal leader boards.
Compete in ranked mode, in which you play against other Xbox LIVE members on the world leader board, or challenge mode, in which you take turns playing a game.
- "Game Room" also offers local Couch Play mode for up to two players - how will you duke it out for arcade supremacy? Enjoy a seamless experience across Xbox 360 and Windows-based PCs as you share games, track your progress and jump back into the game, no matter which of the two platforms you're on.
You can even invite friends into your custom arcade to check out your collection or visit their "game room" to demo games and scope out additions to your collection.
- Buy "Game Room" titles once and play on both your Xbox 360 and Windows-based PC. Enjoy the freedom of buying games for "Game Room" once and playing on both Xbox 360 and a Windows-based PC for about the same price as a DVD rental.
Those who prefer to play on a single platform can purchase individual games for either Xbox 360 or a Windows-based PC at a lower price point, or even pay to play a single game just like in the old arcades. See how long you can last on a single token!
Retro games are shown in their original cabinets, which you can place anywhere in your personal arcade. Invite your friends in to check out your collection.
How Do I Play?
An Xbox 360 console or Windows-based PC and an Internet connection are all you need* to access "Game Room." "Game Room" and associated games can be found on your Xbox 360 in the Xbox LIVE Games Marketplace or in the Games for Windows - LIVE client on your Windows-based PC.
How Much Does It Cost?
It is free to download "Game Room," which you can then populate with classic arcade games available for individual purchase. Buy games once and play on both an Xbox 360 system and a Windows-based PC for 400 Microsoft Points. Or, to purchase a game for only one platform, each individual Xbox 360 or Windows-based PC title is 240 Microsoft Points.
You also have the option to pay to play a single game, just like dropping two quarters in the slot in the old arcades, for 40 Microsoft Points. Visit your friends' "game rooms" and try their games free before you buy.
"Game Room" Specifications:
- One or two players
- HDTV 1080p
- In-game Dolby Digital
- Voice chat
- Avatar support
- Online multiplayer (one or two players)
- Cross-platform leader boards
- Cross-platform Achievements
More PlayStation 3 News...