Spirit iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch Untethered Jailbreak Arrives!
This weekend comex shared an untethered jailbreak dubbed Spirit for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch in both Windows and MAC versions.
Download: Spirit Jailbreak (Windows) / Spirit Jailbreak (MAC)
Although the site is currently inaccessible (likely due to heavy traffic), below are the relevant details:
- Spirit is an untethered jailbreak for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch on the latest firmwares.
- Spirit is not a carrier unlock.
- If you currently are using a tethered jailbreak, you have to restore to use Spirit. Do not upgrade if you use an unlock on an iPhone 3G or 3GS. (You can, however, restore to 3.1.2 if you have SHSH blobs for that version.)
- Any iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch on firmware 3.1.2, 3.1.3, or 3.2.
- An activated device: one not stuck on the Connect to iTunes or Emergency Call screen.
- Any version of iTunes 9 (including 9.1.1).
- Syncing with iTunes before trying this highly recommended.
Note: On iPad, all this is still sort of beta. Some packages in Cydia, not designed for iPad, might screw up your system and require you to restore. Be careful. (And no, Cydia's appearance is not final.)
- Troubleshooting: If you're getting error code c0000005, apparently setting compatibility mode to Windows 98 allows Spirit to work.
- Legal information.
- If you liked this jailbreak, I greatly appreciate donations.
- Source code will be available after the inevitable update.
- For troubleshooting purposes, here is a little program to read the syslog (which the spirit installer writes a bunch of stuff to). If you don't know what this means, don't bother.
- Thanks to BigBoss, chpwn, chronic, MuscleNerd, OPK, planetbeing, pod2g, posixninja, saurik, westbaer, and anyone else whose name I have forgotten, for various contributions.
- Plus, special thanks to everyone who donated to me in the past.
[Register or Login to view code]
More PlayStation 3 News...
Does this mean it will work on the latest iPhone bootrom? I couldn't do an untethered jailbreak for a friend of mine previously because his iPhone apparently had the latest bootrom. Just putting it in the mode to check the bootrom left the iPhone unable to restore to its original 3.1.2 firmware (I had no idea it would do that, that's the last time I follow the instructions of some random poster) and I was forced to update it to 3.1.3, but just as I thought that's irrelevant now.
More importantly I'm waiting for a carrier unlock.
What exactly does this happen to have with the PS3?
finally something that is not from egohot. woooo i wonder what happened to that guy, too much pressure from the ps3 community.
my virus software says program contains trojan virus, can anyone confirm this is safe?
thanks boss for sharing!!!
Seems like a waste to release this now with firmware 4.0 and the iphone 4g around the corner. Then again, maybe apple already patched this, then there would be no harm.
GeoHot and iPhone Dev Team (MuscleNerd) claim to have their own JB and iPhone Unlock which they are saving for iPhone OS 4. GeoHot also claims to have 3 methods of Jailbreaking.. time will tell.
If you run this jailbreak on Windows 7 it will crash with the error "dl.exe has stopped working" and ask you to send a crash report to comex.
To get around this do the following steps:
1. Right Click on the file
2. Click Properties
3. Go to the second tab (Compatibility)
4. Check the box that says "Run this in compatibility mode for:"
5. Change the selection to Windows 98/Windows ME
6. Click OK
This was found in the comments section of spiritjb.com but I figured I would post it here in case people had trouble getting the site and/or comments to load.