Speculation: Sony's PlayStation Phone to Arrive This Fall?
Wondering how long you'll have to wait until you can play PlayStation games on a certain phone? How does this fall sound? Below is what is known to date:
- Sony refused Sony Ericsson rights to use the brand name 'PlayStation' for a PSP Phone they were planning to make.
- The new Sony Ericsson Satio can run PlayStation games.
- The Sony Ericsson Satio was revealed at the Red Dot Museum in Singapore.
- The Sony Ericsson Satio is expected to be released this fall worldwide and will have downloadable applications available so it will also be a huge contender to the iPhone.
- It was revealed that the phone could run PlayStation games when Hirokazu Ishizuka, Sony Ericsson's Corporate Vice President and Head of Asia Pacific Region said in the announcement:
"I think we are very confident of our own solution- entertainment unlimited. Not only music entertainment experience but also imaging, cyber-shot technology and we have a 12.1 megapixels camera.
On top of that, you can enjoy your PlayStation games so therefore this product is so powerful and we are very confident of this product's success."
It would make more sense than PSP, which is a duplication of what a phone can do these days, minus communication. A cellphone has become a tool which has taken over most tasks and I think Sony has learnt that. 12.1 Mega pixel for cameras has already been achieved by both Sony-Errikson and Samsung, so it is not a big deal.
However if Sony wants to interest the masses can't they through software update make the PS3 more accessible to other cellphones in general. Surely there are not only thinking of how to sell a few more gadgets but to also truly become the multimedia centre piece in our living rooms. They have opted for a slower way and Xbox360 or Wii may just achieve that first.