Seeking Feedback on Adding PS3 News Forum Signatures
In addition to adding some Moderators soon, we are also considering adding Forum signatures to some of the UserGroups below:
PS3 News UserGroups:
- Registered User
- Jr. Member
- Sr. Member
Here are the areas we are seeking feedback on if we enable them:
1) Should they be only for Jr. Members or above classes? The reason this may be a good idea is to eliminate spammers from joining as Registered Users and then making BS posts to quickly abuse the signature privilege.
2) Should the signature field allow text only, text and links, or text, links and images?
3) What size (in height) of a signature field should we allow? Perhaps 50, 75, 100, 125 or 150 px (example below) in size? Any larger and it may be obtrusive/overkill I'm thinking...
4) Should we allow certain UserGroups (or even all UserGroups) to disable signatures in the User CP area if a person doesn't wish to view them?
And finally, the most important question:
5) If we enabled Forum signatures, would it encourage users (including yourself) to post more or less, or do you feel it would have little effect on Forum posting?
Our goal overall in enabling them would be to encourage users to post more frequently knowing that in each post their blog, favorite site, logo or even online business could be displayed under their posts.
The only hesitation would be if it was counterproductive and ended up being abused, so it would be GREAT to get some feedback from PS3 News members on this idea here!
1) Yes, you're right, enabling for Jr.Members and above seems like a good idea
2) I think text+links are okay. Images may distort the pleasure of viewing the page
3) A small one, 50-75 px
4) It would be a really good idea
5) I think it has a little effect on numbers of posts, but surely it'll help users to feel themself different
Thanks for your feedback Tidusnake666 and +Rep! The last thing we want to do is make changes and then have members say they "didn't get the memo" on them
I will +Rep all other feedback replies as well... Thanks in advance guys!
1. Yes, People will spend more time on this site trying to get that rank so they can have a Sig.
2. Text, links and images
3. Well maybe 100 px for Jr Members. 125 px for Members and 150 px for Senior Members.
4. Yes all users should be able to disable sigs.
5. Well I don't think I would post anymore, but it might make newer members do so. (As I mention above.)
I hate signatures because they clutter up threads and most of them are lame. I like the clean and neat feel of this site just the way it is, but accept that mass opinion will probably make sigs happen.
Thanks HeyManHRU and natepig and +Rep, and ya I too dislike sigs but as HeyManHRU pointed out it may offer a little incentive for the lurkers to get involved. That said, I also agree that if we enable sigs it would be a good idea to allow those who can't stand them to turn them off while logged in here.
I probably won't turn them off myself as long as they are not too big, but at least it could be an option.
1.) Yep, just for Jr. Members and above.
2.) Text, Link (with cloaking), Images (with strict filters, disable for Smartphone (mobile) users).
3.) 800 x 150 px maximal (prefer HeyManHRU's idea).
4.) Signatures should be able to hide.
5.) Hard to say, I think it has no effect of the post quantity.
I don't like the signature for the same reasons of natepig. However this is my opinion about 5 questions:
2) Text only. I'll accept only non-commercial text, link and images.
3) As HeyManHRU said.
5) No effect for me.
I don't like the idea of adding signatures that will make our site look like a christmas tree ... This clean look is great. If signatures are implemented then one should be able to hide the signatures... and then again I might even use it when I get used to the idea. But as far as getting people to join for that reason - I don't think so. The second biggest drawcard ever is free stuff.
On another forum (not specifically gaming related), there is a weekly competition for a network equipment. That is a great way for the company supplying the equipment to advertise. It is a win-win situation - the company gets more sales and the forum grows. The prizes up for grabs are +-$70.
Now on a weekly basis this can be kinda rough, but if you get a sponsor and let guys reply to a mail in order to stand a chance to get a teensy board (for lack of a better example) over a period of 2 weeks or a month... then the interest, numbers and posts can grow ... just throwing this into the air ...