PlayOn Will Soon Stream Hulu and Netflix to the Nintendo Wii
MediaMall is on the verge of announcing their Wii PlayOn beta, which has been in quiet testing for a while now.
What this means to you: For about $40, you'll be able to stream Hulu and Netflix to your Wii!
To quote: PlayOn's been around on the Xbox and PS3 since last year, as well as on all kinds of DLNA-compliant TVs-it's essentially a super-compatible Web interface for video services that don't work on certain platforms-and we knew it was headed Wii-ward from the start.
This is a step, and a sign that the service will actually materialize sometime soon, but it probably won't include a specific, formal release date.
- PlayOn support for Nintendo's Wii in Beta.
- This is the first time PlayOn is able to control the user interface (and we spent significant time designing it)
- It is available for a free 14-day full-featured trial at www.playon.tv; after that it is a one-time $39.99 fee to purchase a license
- It is the same software that supports the PS3 and XBOX360, so if you already have a license or active trial, it will work on your Wii as well
- PlayOn uses the "Internet Channel" on the Wii
- How it works: You can find the PlayOn Media Server(s) by opening the "Internet Channel" web browser on the Wii, pressing the "WWW" button, and entering the web address playon.tv - We recommend you add this page to your Wii Browser "Favorites" to make it easy to return to. To upgrade your Nintendo Wii with the "Internet Channel" web browser, visit here
- We are very proud to offer Wii support as it has been one of the most requested features from our users and shows our commitment to expanding consumer access to PlayOn
- PlayOn offers the broadest selection of premium content available from Internet - to - TV providers (Hulu, Netflix, CBS, ESPN, CNN, Amazon VOD, You Tube) and our selection of niche content is growing daily via our open plugin architecture:
- Academic Earth
- Cartoon Network
- Food Network
- Local Files
- Southpark Studios
- Spike TV
- Podcasts (OPML Player) - with dozens of available feeds!
- International channels: Danish DR and Spanish TVE
- PlayOn works on a broad range of devices, including the Playstation3, XBOX360, Nintendo Wii, Digeo's Moxi HD DVR, Verismo's VuNow Device and many DLNA-compliant devices
More PlayStation 3 News...
I haven't seen this floating on my NNTP provider. Perhaps because it's still in beta?
This is very interesting to see this on the Wii. I think that this explains the recent update to the Internet Channel making it free and with updated flash abilities.
Will most definitely be keeping an eye out for this.