Hey there.

So... you use an ad blocker. That's cool. Sometimes we do too.

But without ad revenue, we wouldn't even be here. And we might not be here much longer.

Please disable your ad blocker and click to continue.

Homebrew HDD adapter for Gamecube

emu_kidid via gc-forever.com have posted a interesting articel about a HB HDD adapter for the GC:

A fellow Gamecube enthusiast has created a DIY HDD (IDE only) adapter for the EXI bus on the Nintendo Gamecube!

It's a simple device, but something the GC could definitely use .. I know I'd love to see some GC-Linux support for this thing

Best part of all is that once he gets around to it, instructions on how everyone can build one from a few parts easily found (even certain old PS2 modchips can be modified to do the job - it's that easy) will be released.

It's been tested so far with a unofficial modified SD-Boot 0.3, and the speed is quite good in games. I haven't built one nor know how to yet, but I'd say it probably reads at about 1mb/s from the HDD, which is not bad considering the code isn't very optimized. Regardless, I'll add in support for the adapter in the next version of SD-Boot (working title) which is coming up nicely.

Note, the HDD adapter is not a DVD replacement, and as such, cannot be used to play backups. The author has simply modified an older version of SD-Boot to add in support, so the compatibility with backups would only be as good as the software (0.3 wasn't too great).

nice find, i may buy a gc just to try it out.

Yea i'm also thinking about to get the GC out of his grave or buy a new/old cheap one if the graved one don't want to work

Just for fun to build this hdd adapter and test the whole thing.